The Portuguese Association for the Study and Conservation of Elasmobranchs (APECE) and the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPL) are delighted to host the 22nd Annual European Elasmobranch Association Meeting from 12-14 October in Peniche, Portugal. Given the threats faced by cartilaginous fishes all over the World, and in accordance with the EEA’s ethos of bridging scientific evidence and conservation policies, the theme for this year’s meeting is: “Policy and conservation for a brighter blue future”. We hope to meet you at an inspiring conference where the best in elasmobranch research will be presented and discussed. This year, the conference will have a kick off session focused on the meeting’s theme and we are proud to announce that Dr. Gavin Naylor will be Saturday’s keynote speaker at the conference.
During the event, delegates will be overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and the Berlengas archipelago, and within walking distance to the center of Peniche and several beautiful beaches.
Starting on Friday, October 12th, 2018, and ending on Sunday, October 14th, 2018, the meeting will include a diverse programme of lectures and breakout sessions on key topics in the study of cartilaginous fishes.
On Friday evening, delegates will be given the opportunity to attend a very Portuguese ice breaker, close to the venue. The conference dinner and the traditional auction to raise funds for the student bursaries are set for Saturday night.
|Prices:||Before 30 June||31 June-30 August||After 30 August|
|Non-student (EEA member)||110||130||160|
As always, the EEA rewards bursaries to a limited number of presenting students to help them cover the cost of attending the meeting. The conference dinner will cost € 30. We encourage everyone to attend, especially first time participants, as the event is usually very entertaining.
How to get to Peniche
- Plane: The closest airport to Peniche is in Lisbon, approximately 90 Km south.
- Bus: From Lisbon airport, take the subway to Sete Rios/Jardim Zoológico, where you can catch a bus from “Rede Expressos” to Peniche. Alternatively, from Lisbon airport, take the subway to Campo Grande, where you can catch a bus from “Rodoviária do Tejo” to Peniche
- Car: coming from Lisbon, follow the A8 Oeste to Caldas da Rainha until you arrive the exit Peniche (IP6). Then follow IP6 directly to Peniche.
A broad range of accommodations are available within walking distance of the venue (max. 20 minutes), while transfers will be provided at a given period. Some special priced packages are being negotiated for the delegates, with the values that can be seen bellow:
- MH Peniche Hotel: usually around €90, we are still waiting for a quotation.
- Pinhal Mar Hotel: double 42€ (breakfast included) and single 38€ (breakfast included) (confirmed rate)
- Soleil Hotel: double 66€ (breakfast included) and single 56€ (breakfast included) (confirmed rate)
Do not forget to mention you will be attending the EEA meeting, when booking the rooms. Delegates can also choose from the many Hostels/Guest houses/Bed and Breakfast with prices starting from €35.
Participants will be able to register at http://eulasmo.org, and a more detailed description of the meeting programme will be available soon.