The Portuguese Association for the Study and Conservation of Elasmobranchs (www.apece.pt), MARE – Marine and Environmental Sciences Center, the Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (www.girm.ipleiria.pt) and Flying Sharks (www.flyingsharks.eu) are the proud hosts of the 19th Annual Scientific Conference of the European Elasmobranch Association (www.eulasmo.org) from the 9th to the 11th of October at the School of Tourism and Maritime Technology (www.estm.ipleiria.pt), in Peniche, Portugal.
The conference will provide a platform for those involved in international science and policy and aims to help coordinate the information necessary for the development and implementation of management measures for rays and sharks in European waters. EEA 2015 will be of interest to all those who are involved in the study, management and conservation of chondrichthyans (sharks, skates, rays and chimaeras).
We are also delighted to welcome the awesome Dr. Samuel Gruber to our meeting as key-note speaker!!
Venue and how to get there
- The meeting will be held in Peniche, a beautiful city set by the water one hour north of Lisbon, which is where you should fly in to.
- Once at the airport, catch the subway to “Sete Rios / Jardim Zoológico” (i.e. the Zoo) and then the bus to Peniche.
- Click here for a map of Peniche. The Hotel Soleil is an easy 15-20 minute walk from the bus station (take either the “north” or “south” path, highlighted in the map) but you can also get a taxi.
- Regular registration fee: €100 for EEA members, €120 for non-EEA members, €75 for students
- Early-bird registration fee (ended June 30):
€80 for EEA members, €100 for non-EEA members, €50 for students
- Not-so-early-bird registration fee (ended August 31):
€90 for EEA members, €110 for non-EEA members, €60 for students
- Saturday gala dinner: €30
- Download our registration form and send it to APECE.
- APECE members: if your dues are current, then you are an EEA member also! If your dues are not current, then you are NOT an EEA member. 😉
- To become an APECE member and/or check your membership status contact APECE.
- Download our abstract submission form and send it to Nuno Queiroz (APECE).
- The deadline for submission of abstracts is the 31st of August.
- Please contact Glenys Heafield (Shark Trust) for information on student bursaries but be aware that you may only apply after you register and your oral presentation has been accepted.
- The deadline for submission of student bursaries (31st of August) was extended to the 25th of September and there will be no further extensions of this deadline.
- Peniche offers extremely affordable lodging options but we worked out a really nice deal with the nice folks from Hotel Soleil. who gave us the awesome rating of €38 per room!! Mention code “EEA2015” when booking to get this extremely generous rate!
Program, abstracts and list of participants
- Click here to download the meeting’s program.
- Click here to download the book of abstracts.
- Click here to download the list of participants.
Transportation between the hotel and meeting venue (ESTM)
A bus will shuttle folks from Hotel Solei to the school every morning and afternoon during the 30 minutes before and after the meetings. You may walk from Hotel Soleil to the school (north blue path) but it is a 45-60 minute walk, although the scenery is breathtaking. Don’t take this walk if the weather is rough, as waves will crash onto the road! Take the “city” blue path instead (60 min. walk) and enjoy a lovely “Pastel de Nata” in one of the many cafés (“Pastelaria”).
A kind word of sincere thanks to our wonderful sponsors, Save our Seas Foundation and Merlin Entertainments, who have generously donated funds for us to fly Dr. Gruber to Peniche, and also award 10 Student Bursaries for young researchers who are presenting their research at the meeting!
If you have any questions contact us at email@example.com and we look forward to welcoming you in Peniche!